B&W Conversion

'B&W Conversion'

How you can replicate the powerful black and white images?
While the subject matter is no doubt the driving force behind the power of Louie's images, the black and white processing adds an extra dimension which is perfectly suited to the subject. Although the conversion process is a key part in achieving this characteristic look and feel, the actual process of the final black and white image begins at the capture stages.
'I try to see a scene in black and white, and to visualise what I'll like to achieving in the digital darkroom. This involves as sending the scene and spotting tonal ranges, and then looking to capture these fully and to see what will work best at the conversion stage.'
To do this, you should try to spot scenes where the contrast between the light and the dark areas is stark and will really stand out once converted. Juxtaposing shadows and highlights is always particularly effective. As part of being true to his documentary photography leanings, and wanting to get a true message of the scene across, Louie is strict about what he does and doesn't to in the digital darkroom.
'I make sure that there is no manipulation in my images beyond what photographers could archive in the wet darkroom of old. Contras changes are fine, as is burning and dodging to get the contrast heightened, as are several other changes along those lines.
'I do, however, avoid any kind of artificial manipulation. I want to keep the scene true to how I saw it with no further manipulation. I also never crop my images-I want to use the frame to its full extent as a tool for telling the story of a scene.

Template by : Kendhin x-template.blogspot.com